The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

May 29, 2008

Where are they now? Denny Hocking and Bobby Kielty

This past weekend I was doing some yard work and had the radio on. Fox Sports radio came on (not sure how I got tuned to Fox, maybe I was trying to get some of those insightful political tidbits, more likely it has to do with syndication) and their baseball show started. As I was listening I was surprised to hear our very own Denny Hocking as the co-host of FOX GameTime Saturday ReAct (not sure what the deal with the name "ReAct" is.) Hocking was actually pretty solid (found out he is a regular guest on "Rome is Burning" as well.) Apparently his finger and feelings towards Jacque Jones have healed since that 2002 ALDS game (maybe I should call in and ask to be sure.) Guess 13 seasons in the Bigs and a career .251 BA and OBP of .310 and you can make the jump to the big time media.

When I went to look up Hocking, I got him confused with Bobby Kielty (RTS - if memory serves, you were a Kielty-guy in 2002.) As we all remember it was Kielty that the Blue Jays wanted/got for Shannon Stewart in 2003 and he later went to the A's for Ted Lilly. What I didn't remember/know was that Kielty then went to the Red Sox and hit a pinch-hit solo home run in Game 4 of the 2007 World Series (probably missed it because I was in China at the time.)

The Twins are known for producing talent. Talk about turning out star power.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedTigerShark said...

I think BG had the man love for Kielty.

What did Denny Hocking look like? All I can picture is Kubel.

Where is Lew Ford now?

May 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

RTS - Lew is apparently playing for the Hanshin Tigers in Koshien, Nishinomiya, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/rss/sb20071215j1.html

May 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM

 
Blogger RedTigerShark said...

The lord works in mysterious ways, I think lew was pretty religious. The guy is probably knocking the snot out of the ball and in two years we will try and resign him as a power hitter to take Delmon Young's spot.

So to follow up with another where are they now I looked up Eric Milton. The answer is he has been out of the league since last May. I did not realize the Twins got Punto in the deal when we traded Milton for Silva.

May 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

You guys are right...I was a Kielty guy. I guess we got Shannon Stewart for him (who was a solid contributor for a couple years), but I hated to see him - and his batting glove-less hands - go to Toronto.

BTW, along the same lines, apparently Jan's boy Tyner (a future 'where are they now' question himself) ripped the Twins for dumping him...and is now solidly anchored in AAA somewhere. Yeah...bad call by the organization.

May 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home