The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

December 14, 2011

Big Ten Bowl Roundup- Ride the Conference Trend




There are 35 bowls and the Big Ten will be playing in 10 of them. Only Minnesota and Indiana are sitting at home this season. Bowl action kicks off this Saturday and the Big Ten plays their first game on Dec 27. All picks are straight up.

Dec 27 Purdue -2 1/2 Vs Western Michigan Little Caesars Bowl. Sounds kind of like pizza in a cup from the movie The Jerk. "This Pizza in a cup is way better than the last pizza in cup place." Neither team is a world beater. I saw Purdue play against Iowa and they looked pretty terrible. I am going with conference pride. Lets just hope if someone gets hurt the announcers will show more compassion than Pam Ward did when she covered the game. One way to tell you are watching a shitty game, Pam Ward is calling it. Big ten 1-0.

Dec 30 Iowa +13 1/2 Vs Oklahoma Insight Bowl. Iowa is playing in this bowl for the second consecutive year. Oklahoma went from BCS National Championship aspirations to this. Oklahoma will take this, but I am going to say it is not going to be the ass kicking many people are predicting. Iowa is pretty tough in bowl games, plus you get the who is disappointed to be here factor. Big ten 1-1.

Dec 31 Northwestern +9 1/2 Vs Texas A&M Meineke Car Care Bowl. Two 6-6 teams squaring off. I am going with NU. Texas A&M has lost 4 of their last 5 including 2 overtime losses. Earlier in the year they blew a big lead to Arkansas. To me this a team that can not close out games. Northwestern is that pesky team that can hang in there. Call this Gamblor's upset special. Big Ten 2-1.

Dec 31 Illinois -2 1/2 Vs UCLA Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. What a stinker. Both coaches have been canned. Illinois is riding a 6 game losing streak. UCLA has a losing record at 6-7. If you are tuning into this or betting this check into CFB rehab immediately. I am going with Illinois, because a team without Ron Zook has to be better than a team with Ron Zook. Big Ten 3-1.

Jan 2 Penn St +5.5 Vs Houston Ticket City Bowl. Here are two teams scratching their heads wondering how they got here. While it won't take many points for Houston to outscore Penn St, I think Penn St's D keeps this a low scoring affair and pressures Case Keenum all day. Penn St in a low scoring affair. Big Ten 4-1.

Jan 2 Michigan St +3 1/2 vs Georgia Outback Bowl. I think this will be a lot better game for Michigan St compared to their meeting in 09 or the drubbing MSU took in last years bowl game from Alabama. Instead of Georgia fans calling for Mark Richt's head, which is the norm, they are squawking they got hosed with this selection. I am going with Georgia. Just a gut feeling. Big Ten 4-2.

Jan 02 Ohio St +2 Vs Florida TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl. It looks like a good match up but it really is a clunker. If OSU did not complete the hail mary vs Wisconsin, they would not even be bowl eligible. The amount of times Urban Meyer will be referenced as the former Florida coach and the future OSU coach will make the game unbearable. Riding the SEC again and going with Florida. Big Ten 4-3.

Jan 02 Nebraska +2 1/2 Vs South Carolina Capital One Bowl (It is still the Citrus Bowl to me.) Steve Spurrier had a great comment back in the day "You can't spell citrus without U T." He now finds himself here and is probably pretty happy about it. Personally, I feel that Geogia and Mich St should be playing here. This will probably be a low scoring affair. Newcomer Nebraska gets a taste of what it is like to lose on (or around as the case may be this year) on New Year's Day to the SEC. Big Ten 4-4.

Jan 02 Wisconsin +6 Vs Oregon Rose Bowl. When was the last time Oregon won a big non-conference game? All I can think of is them is losing to Auburn, Boise St x2, Ohio St and LSU. Wisconsin can shoot it out if it comes to that. I also think they will play better D. I like Wisconsin. Big ten 5-4.

Jan 03 Michigan -2 1/2 Vs Virginia Tech Sugar Bowl. Thank you Houston for shooting yourself in the foot, allowing our conference to get 2 teams into the BCS. Both conferences here could be whistling that tune. Michigan is probably better than I think they are. The ACC is as terrible as it appears. Also the ACC's record in BCS bowls is abysmal at 2-11 with VT racking up 4 of the losses vs 1 win. This is the first year the ACC has had two selections. Riding the trend and going with Michigan. Big Ten 6-4.


Best Bowl names this year:

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl- Excuse my ignorance, are potatoes grown commercially anywhere else?

Advo Car V100 Independence Bowl -This is the equivalent to the Beef O'Brady's last year where I do not even know what they are advertising.

Belk Bowl- I always thought it was Belks. I stand corrected. Belk sounds like the noise a rock makes when thrown into a perfectly still lake.

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl- I liked it better when it was the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl.

TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl- If this was the days of yore and I still played Dungeons and Dragons, I would name my most bad ass character TaxSlayer.



1 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

Guys,
I am back - sorry for the hiatus. BRUTAL couple months at work, and then once I fell behind, it was like that feeling when you haven't been to the dentist...you don't want to face the music and go, because you know you're going to get a lecture from the dentist about how you need to come in regularly, floss more, etc.

Anyway, I caught up on some of the previous material. Good stuff. I particularly liked the U2 vs. Stones back-and-forth. Steel Wheels was one of my earliest concert memories (The dome is horrible, by the way, when it comes to acoustics...among other things). I also saw U2 at Camp Randall in 1997. KILLER.

Not sure about the new look, Jan. A little too soft for me.

RTS - love the bowl breakdown. I think your 6-4 prediction for the B1G is about right...maybe 5-5. Big Ten team always seem to draw tough matchups in their oppoenents' back yards, so I think a .500 record is reasonable and would be considered a success.

Twins sign Willingham to a 3 year deal. I like it...but it likely means that Jan's fave, Cuddy, is gone.

December 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home