The blog formerly about a daily dose of mostly Minnesota sports rants and raves with a sprinkling of general sports commentary and a pinch of jaded-malaise regarding the world around us

March 19, 2009

Latest on Tubby

OK, UVa has confirmed he's at the top of their list. For his part, Tubby's saying all the right things at the moment:

"I have a job, I have a great job. We're enjoying Minnesota. We have no reason to be looking at anything else, and we're very happy where we are. It's flattering sometimes but it can be a distraction. It's good to be wanted, but it's more important to be needed. I feel like I'm not only wanted at Minnesota, but needed there as well."

Which is great, but of course, utterly meaningless as no one in their right mind would say "Yeah, I'll definitely listen if they call. I like UVa."

My head tells me there is just no valid reason for Tubby to take that job. Who wants to spend the last couple years of their career getting their teeth bashed in by Roy Williams and Coach K? It would take at least 3-4 years to get to the point where expectations of 4th or 5th in the conference might be reasonable. Why would that be desirable for a guy soon to turn 58? He'd have to recruit against Duke, UNC, Georgetown, Maryland, Wake, and even VCU, in a bigger talent pool, but not nearly that much bigger. Methinks UVa has a significantly higher opinion of its program's place on the ladder than the rest of the world, and this is a total pipedream. The fan base and AD have significantly less patience than the good people of Minnesota, and unrealistic expectations for their basketball team, which hasn't been nationally relevant since the father of a player currently at Minnesota was there nearly 30 years ago.

My heart, on the other hand, tells me I'm seeing this through maroon and gold glasses, and is terrified. I won't rest easy until Anthony Grant (from VCU) is named as the next head coach at Virginia.

5 Comments:

Blogger LH said...

Yeah, I think we've definitely all learned that one can't take a coaches public comments to heart... even if they're from someone has respected as Tubby.

I agree, I don't see why UVA would be upgrade for Tubby for all the reasons MCA stated... and is that really what Tubby can to Minnesota for- a chance to do well and get recruited at a "high tier" basketball institution? My instincts say no, since it would have been really easy for him to take a 1/2 year off from Kentucky and just wait by the phone for the inevitable job openings the following season.

My heart is nervous, my head is nervous- and the gophers are currently down 12 with 3+ to go... why does it hurt so?

March 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Reason #425 why LH should give up his dream to be a 'Hoopsologist': "I think the gopher perimeter D should be able to contain Abrams."

Think about all the talent from Minnesota that is sprinkled throughout NCAA hoops. Hell, 4 of the Badgers 5 starters are from Minny. There is some 'big galoop' guy I can't think of right now playing for a top program. Not to mention the 8 players on the NDSU Bison squad. My point is that I think Tubby realized we have a lot of good basketball here and if we can 'close the border' and draw a few others, he could win in the Big Ten for a long time with a fan base and University administration that can't wait to cast his likeness in bronze outside Williams.

I remain blindly optimistic because it has worked so well in the past.

March 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM

 
Blogger LH said...

True that giving up 26 is not exactly containing...and I certainly wasn't expecting Abrams to hoist up 15 3-point shots.. but Pittman with his 17 and 11 (5 of them offensive) was nearly as damaging.... but your point is not lost on me, I suck.

I almost suck as much as the Congress right now, which is saying a lot.

Nice point re: MN talent.. I didn't realize that 4 out of the 5 wisconsin starters are minnesotans... that absolutely kills me. My biggest problem with the U as an undergraduate school is it's lack of collegiate feel (something I know that the current administration is focused on improving). The on-campus stadium should help...and the school housing development they built a few years ago also is a good move in that direction. Given its urban setting I am not sure how much more it can do to change this. The experience of an undergraduate at Madison and the U are completely different. I hate to say this, but I understand why Minnesota kids choose Madison over the UofM. I dare say that if I had to choose between those 2 schools coming out of high school, I might actually pick Madison.. and this is coming from someone who really doesn't care for the state as a whole.

March 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM

 
Blogger MCA said...

To be fair, we should probably note that UW's a better school, too. If I had had to pick between the two of them, I would have chosen Madison, and not just because of the atmosphere. I'm glad to hear the U's administrators are trying to make campus feel more like a campus. You're right, though, that's a tough job when the campus is so hemmed in.

March 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

 
Blogger BG said...

Yeah...this is the painful thing regarding MAdison. Cool college town with a cool atmosphere, but we hate them and their annoying fans.

The Galoot you are talking about is Cole Aldrich from Kansas (via Bloomington Jefferson), who just helped KU avoid a huge upset to NDSU, whose point guard, Ben Woodside, is from Albert Lea and put up 30-something points.

Tough game for the Gophers...they were in it until Abrams came down and hit four straight 3's in four trips. Ouch.

Like I said, though, assuming Tubby is thinking the way we are (and will tell UVA to stuff it), this team will be even better next year...and the year after.

The only thing that Tubby has said that worries me is that he doesn't particularly enjoy the winters...but that probably describes 50% of the population in Mpls. Otherwise, he has said often that he enjoys living in a "major" city where he and hit wife can see concerts, shows, etc. Charlottesville is certainly warmer (and pretty), but not exactly a hub of culture.

March 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home